Unity Grammar believes that involving students in leadership activities is a useful strategy for gaining the cooperation of students and increasing the value of schooling for both students and their families.
Student Leadership allows students to learn about social justice as they participate in activities that highlight the roles and responsibilities of being a part of a diverse community. Student Representative Councils (SRCs) and student leadership positions where students captain academic and sport teams are an aspect of the leadership experience at Unity Grammar. At the Unity Grammar Secondary School, Leadership is a compulsory subject where students investigate past and present leaders, learn leadership skills and develop initiatives to enrich the lives of their peers.
The development of Student Leadership skills involves students:
- Acting in roles of responsibility with integrity and honesty
- Fostering a sense of vision and purpose
- Working with others to determine and achieve collective goals
- Taking on responsibilities and using decision-making skills to carry out successful projects
- Becoming active, reflective listeners and effective communicators
- Earning respect through their actions.